Friday 18 November 2022

A little more on A Patch in the Forest by Elizabeth West

Blogreader Philippa tells me that she was able to find a copy of Elizabeth West's 'A Patch in the Forest' for £4 in Hay on Wye! Lucky her!

She also shared some information on the location of the house Elizabeth and Alan lived in:

I think that the house Elizabeth describes was in the Parkend area - the drawing of the church in the final chapter is unmistakeably St Paul's at Parkend, it is one of three churches in the Forest that are old enough to match her description - and the only one that has no stained glass and is surrounded by trees.  She mentions the local silver band being formed in 1893, and while Parkend Silver Band folded in the mid 20th century, it was then restarted a few years later and would have been active while she was writing the book.  I'm not aware of any other Silver Band in the Forest that started at the right time and was still active when the book was published.  Also, the tourist attractions she mentions in her book - Clearwell, Puzzle Wood, Mallards Pike, Soudley etc. form a circle with Parkend at the centre.  Of course, it is not possible to narrow down the house any further, but I thought you might be interested at least to know the name of the church. I certainly was!



Drawing of the church


Photo of the church



5 comments:

  1. I haven't been to Hay in ages, now look what I missed!! That said, some years back I got a copy of Monica Edwards' The Valley and the Farm there, for £3 or so. That's a part of the Forest of Dean I don't know at all. Nearest we got to it was when house-hunting down in Lydney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I do wonder who bought her house - they must have got it dirt cheap because of all the Japanese Knotweed they planted there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to hear a bit more about their home in the Forest of Dean - thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete