Wednesday 6 January 2021

Or maybe it started here ...

During my childhood my family spent every summer holiday on the island of Ameland. The books in our holiday home included a translation of Eleanor Graham's The Children Who Lived in a Barn (1938, my Dutch translation was from 1959).


I loved this book! It is about five children looking after themselves when their parents have to go away and then fail to return. It seemed to me perfectly normal that they had to move out of their home and into a barn, cooking on a wood stove, spending a whole day doing the laundry and using a haybox. I loved all the domestic detail and the children's independence. So maybe this is where my love of "The Good Life" books began.
 
Persephone Books have republished The Children who lived in a Barn.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment